The Department of Public Management and Governance and the Centre for Public Management and Governance offer structured theoretical and co-operative career-focussed education and training in Public Administration, Public Management and Public Governance. Our programs are specifically for officials and leaders who are involved with service delivery activities and objectives at different levels in society and the community. We develop management skills of political, community and business executives, strategic executive managers (senior, middle and line managers) and other role-players who contribute to the improved service delivery in his/her organization, the general public, voluntary and private sectors. These skills will equip graduates to function in the highly complex and dynamic public arena where state, market and civilians interact in the shaping of society.
The main aim of the Department and Center is to:
- improve public sector guided development outcomes in society;
- improve public sector agency values (including democracy, development, growth, equity, stability, sustainability);
- improve public sector structures (local, provincial, national, international institutions and networks);
- improve internal public sector operations (to be more participatory, responsive, transparent, accountable, efficient, effective, professional, honest); and
- improve public sector leadership skills.